I was asked to write a blog on preaching Leviticus for another preaching website. (I will copy that blog here once it posts.) As I have researched and written, several resources were helpful. In this blog, I want to include a small but sufficient list of resources to begin research into Leviticus. Leviticus is a book you will want to read many times, read about much, and research well. The resources below are a good start. I divide the resources into the following categories: OT introductions, commentaries, books on Leviticus, OT theologies, general preaching books, and articles. The general preaching books contain sections or chapters that are relevant to Leviticus.
- Archer, Gleason. A Survey of Old Testament Introduction. Revised and expanded. Chicago: Moody Press, 1994.
- Arnold, Bill and Bryan Beyer. Encountering the Old Testament. 3rd edition. Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2015.
- Moseley, Allan. Leviticus. Christ-Centered Exposition Series. Edited by David Platt, Daniel L. Akin, and Tony Merida. Nashville: B&H Publishing, 2015.
- Sklar, Jay. Leviticus. Tyndale Old Testament Commentaries. Downers Grove: IVP Academic, 2014.
- Wenham, Gordon. The Book of Leviticus. New International Commentary on the Old Testament. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1979.
Books on Leviticus
- Morales, L. Michael. Who Shall Ascend the Mountain of the Lord?: A Biblical Theology of the Book of Leviticus. Downers Grove: IVP Academic, 2015.
- Ross, Allen P. Holiness to the Lord: A Guide to the Exposition of the Book of Leviticus. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2002.
- Kaiser, Walter C. Toward an Old Testament Theology. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1978.
- Routledge, Robin. Old Testament Theology: A Thematic Approach. Downers Grove: IVP Academic, 2013.
- Waltke, Bruce. An Old Testament Theology. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2007.
General Hermeneutics/Preaching Resources
- Duvall, J. Scott and J. Daniel Hays. Grasping God’s Word: A Hands-On Approach to Reading, Interpreting, and Applying the Bible. Second edition. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2005.
- Kaiser, Walter C. Preaching and Teaching from the Old Testament. Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2003.
- Kent, Grenville, Paul Killing, and Laurence Turner, eds. Reclaiming the Old Testament for Christian Preaching. Downers Grove: InterVarsity, 2010.
- Smith, Steve. Recapturing the Voice of God: Shaping Sermons Like Scripture. Nashville: B&H Publishing, 2015.
- Wright, Christopher J. H. Old Testament Ethics for the People of God. Downers Grove: InterVarsity, 2011.
Any of these resources are worth consulting in preparation for a sermon or sermon series through Leviticus.